Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My First Blog Post

I'm an aspie.

Asperger's Syndrome gives me the gift of viewing the world from a different perspective. Aspies tend to be frank and detail-oriented, so you should expect these posts to be very direct and drone on endlessly about seemingly trivial issues. Hopefully, I'll be able to do this in an entertaining manner.

I'm an architect.

I've had a life-long fascination for the built environment, and adore monumentalism. Every city should have a senselessly grand space and be dotted with random acts of beauty, but between and behind these, should be intimate, walkable neighborhoods that offer their residents everything they need within a short walk or tram ride. American suburbs are abominations that need to be eradicated from the face of the earth. They are wasteful and anti-social. Over time, I hope my readers will become active in demanding quality urban design and learn to appreciate a sense of place.

I'm a Pagan.

I've always had an affinity for trees. Even when I was a little catholic boy in the suburban fringe, I was shocked at the carefree way developers bulldozed the land all around our barren little subdivided patch. Cernunnos called me even back then, and forty years later, I finally got the clue. He has led me on a rewarding journey in which I continue to discover the awesome diversity and power of our world. Thru his alter-ego Shiva, he has drawn me toward Hinduism, which is my latest area of spiritual study. More on that later as I continue to discover this rich traditon...

I'm a classicist; my tastes are strongly biased toward Greek and Roman precedents in design and philosophy. As a classicist, I embrace Hindu religious philosophy as the source of classical religion. Cernunnos is Shiva; both emerged from the same prehistoric archetype, just as the Celtic pantheon of Cernunnos came from the same prehistoric tradition as the Hindu pantheon.

But I'm a dreamer foremost. Autism has given me the ability to know an alternate world of my own creation which I have built as an illustration of my ideals, and I plan to reveal it here and in my ongoing writing project, "The Book of Baddite", a farcical scripture with a very serious spiritual message.

I love to learn, and welcome reading suggestions and links.




OK, enough of the dry introductions...

No comments: