Saturday, September 27, 2008

Powell Hall's Ash Tray

Photo taken 9/26/8
This is the current art installation next to Powell Hall. I've tried googling it to find more information, but Grand Center seems by far more interested in selling tickets than promoting art.
.
From a distance, it looks intriguing, but don't get too close. For starters, there's evidence that the gravel was raked, but no effort was made to grade it. The work itself is sloppily-constructed. The DNA helix is made of rope lights, plastic tubing, and plastic water bottles stuck together with messy globs of hot glue. The orange and yellow cylinder is bits of paper on ladder-type masonry reinforcing with paper clips, but the clips are not all put on the same way and the wire sections are tied together by their ends with no effort made to trim the exess. They're just coiled around each other until the wire ran out. The stack of discs has fingerprints and smudges of marker on the surfaces. The green cylinder is tubes of plastic sheeting randomly stapled or paper-clipped together.
.
Is this the height of St. Louis's artistic talent--an intesting idea wasted on poor craftsmanship?

1 comment:

Susabelle said...

My mother had season tickets to the symphony when I was growing up. Once a month I pretended I enjoyed it and went with her. I was learning to play the flute in those days.

Looking back, I'm glad I went with her, and I actually did enjoy it, mostly, except when they did Stravinski. I am not an officianado by any means, but I have classical music on my iPod and listen to it regularly, and I have to give my mom kudos for that.

And like you, the architecture was a wonderment to me, I loved how the place looked. On the outside it looked like nothing, then you went inside and wow...it was sooooo beautiful.